Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Cronies, part 2

The hard part about moving on is leaving behind what was comfortable.

And to that same token, the hard part about coming back is getting reacquainted to what was once so comfortable, like that old corduroy blazer that's been sitting in the closet for four years while you were away getting an education at some fancy college.

Since I went to school at the fancy college only 25 miles away from home, I'm stuck somewhere inbetween, trying to remember what I did at home, how the old cronies who still live in Riverside get along, espcially now that all the interesting folks I met who discended upon Redlands from fancy places like San Francisco, Portland, New York and Los Angeles are all gone, having graduated, and reconciling too that I also must move on, leaving the Citrus Belt's sunshine, coffee houses and mountain ranges that I love and learned to appreciate as much as life itself.

As a young man thinking, that single sentence in the preceeding paragraph is my most dominate thought.

University of Redlands Armacost Library
12/7/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment