Monday, April 16, 2012

The Most Simple Dream

There are a lot of things worth noting in a day; two come to mind, inspired by two favorite writers/philosophers. First, Joseph Campbell suggested writing down dreams because, while religions are myths shared by a society, dreams are the myths of the individual, they're often your unsung mantra, but the soul needs to sing these be whole. Second, Kurt Vonnegut suggested writing sometime funny everyday, because something in this horrible world is going to make you laugh and laughter makes it all bearable in the face of the most unbearable. So there you go. If I have a dream, I'll write about it. If not, then surely something funny will happen, even if it's just something made up, rolling around in my head.

Last night, I dreamed
I was a boxer, fighting
a big-time fight, dancing
across the ring, beating
up my adversary and getting
beat up too. It was ex-
hilarating --

As the lights went dim,
I only saw my adversary,
smoke rise out of the dark
face-less crowd, men
smoking cigars and women smoking
cigarettes from long cigarette
holders, and then

I saw a woman
sitting in my corner,
worrying with hazel
eyes, looking almost purple
in the dark hue --
I was fighting
and she was beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment