Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Sometimes I write about political elections

The Carolina Journal contacted me this Spring to see if I would be interested in covering the primary elections for seats in the North Carolina General Assembly. I had been referred to the Carolina Journal, a Raleigh publication, by my editor at the Durham Herald-Sun.

I had some initial reservations about accepting the assignment as the Carolina Journal is a politically-oriented newspaper. Partisan politics is not something I wished to be affiliated with at this time. However, the articles were to be politically-neutral news coverage of four NC House of Representative elections, and I could use the work both for the money and to expand my journalistic portfolio.

That being said, the folks at the Carolina Journal were a pleasure to work with as they respected my efforts as a professional journalist and the candidates I covered. I would accept the assignment again and hope to receive similar assignments from the Carolina Journal or any other publication.

The four House districts I covered were District 14 and District 15, both of which represented parts of Onslow County, District 24, representing Wilson and Pitt counties, and District 26, which represented about half of Johnston County.

There is nothing further I'd say about those elections except that if you vote in one of those districts I'd encourage you to read the article to inform your decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment